Thursday, August 17, 2006

Silence

Service last night was about silence and solitude. These are both things that I struggle with. Even when my body is quiet, my mind is going a million miles a minute. Each time I try to be silent, to be still and hear God's voice, there are so many thoughts, questions, songs, conversations, tasks etc... in my mind just overwhelming me. Sometimes I wonder if that is why I avoid the silence? To avoid all of the "things" in life that overwhelm my mind when I actually have the time to stop long enough to think about them. Other times, I think I avoid the silence because I really struggle with hearing God's voice. Struggle in a way that makes be question what I hear. Is it my thoughts and desires etc...or is it really Him speaking to me? At times I am actually afraid to hear God's voice. It seems silly, it's not like I'm expecting God's wrath or anything, I just wonder if what God has to tell me is what I want to hear. I'm learning to trust that even if I don't want to hear it, I need to hear it. He wants to speak to me, to the depths of my heart and take all those "things" so I am not so overwhelmed. Why is it so hard to let go of all that? I shouldn't be afraid to hear God's voice. I will miss out on the blessings He wants to speak into my life. Lord, give me more moments of silence. Help me discern your voice and hear the things you want to bless me with.

1 comment:

Scott Donnelly said...

I'm with you... that silence can be scarey, but God shows up when we finally shut up and listen... stick with it and keep talking about this stuff, because we all need to hear it.