Thursday, August 10, 2006

Crisis

I've been thinking about all the times in life that felt like a crisis. There have been so many instances in life that I wondered if I would ever make it through. Sometimes because I'm just way too over dramatic, but most of the time because it was just plain hard. Whatever the circumstance, I remember thinking there is no way I will ever feel better about this. In one instance, my first break-up, I ruined my REM cd (playing "Everybody Hurts" over and over, again and again) and I don't think I came out of my room unless I absolutely had to. I remember thinking at that moment this was the worst possible thing I could've ever experienced.
I can't really remember when it happened, but I did feel better about it. I actually came out of my room and found my smile again. Life continued as it was and things weren't really so bad. Until the next crisis. My response to this one was just like the last, convinced that things would never get better and I would never be happy again. And then it happened, just like before...it kinda snuck up on me really. I was happy again.
I guess I'm thinking about this because those hard times just keep on comin'. Each "crisis" had provided me with a little more strength, has taught me a little bit more about myself, and has brought me closer to God. I still enter into them with the same questions, worries, and fears...but there is something I know, like all the times before...I will get through this. It still takes me awhile to get my emotions in line with my thoughts, to remind myself that God has gotten me through so many other things. What He is teaching me is that, if I want to, I can actually find my smile during the crisis. Why wait?

No comments: