Thursday, August 24, 2006

Listening

I asked God to speak to me today, and I got to thinking about "listening". When I am expecting to hear from God about a particular situation, I will almost always look for the answer I want for that situation. I'm finding that it doesn't always happen that way. God does speak, but sometimes because of my "filters" I hear what I want to hear and not what I need to hear.
Psalm 34:17-18 says "The righteous cry out, and the Lord hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
So, in times of trouble I read this and I want to think..."the Lord will deliver me...he will give me exactly what I want! He will work this out exactly as I've planned it. See, I knew that God would work this out for me". But is that what it really says?
What is God really saying to me:
"Things may not go exactly as you have planned. You may not get the answer you want. You may not even get an answer, but it is okay because I will deliver you. When you think you can't live without the very thing you want the most, I will deliver you. That doesn't mean that I will give it to you. I may show you that you can live without it, in fact, you can be happy and content without it. When I say I will give you peace and joy, I don't say that so you think you will get what you want. I say that because just when you think you can't get through a certain situation, when you are broken hearted and crushed in spirit, I will deliver you. I will give you strength you never knew you had. So, when I tell you that you can have hope, it doesn't mean that if you sit around and "hope" long enough, you can expect things to turn out exactly as you have planned. It means that I will deliver you and you will be okay if they don't. When I say I am working, I am not bringing your plans into fruition. I am planning even bigger and better things."
See, I guess I've always thought that peace, joy, hope, contentment etc..were all tied up in the things I wanted. That when God said He would give us all those things, it meant that we would eventually get what we wanted. How far from the truth. We can only experince all of those things as we submit to what He wants for us and realize that we are okay in fact we're better off, even if His plans are different than ours.
Those of you who read my thoughts regularly are probably seeing a theme here. You think God is working on my need to "control" things?

No comments: