Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmastime

I don't know what it was about this year...but Christmas came and went in a whirlwind.

It all started at Thanksgiving. I have started this little tradition (since I've been married) of putting up our tree on the day after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, this year we were all sick after Thanksgiving, so it was put off. I was a little bit disappointed but at the time I thought, "no problem...I will have plenty of time".

Then Glory of Christmas (GOC) started. I have been involved in this musical production that we do at Northridge Church for the past 13 years...why it snuck up on me this year, I have no idea...I know what is involved and I know that for the first two weeks of December I am lucky to get the day to day things done...much less any extra Holiday things...but I convinced myself it wouldn't be that bad...I could do it...

10 piles of laundry, a sink full of dishes, multiple tumbleweeds of dog hair, and 3 toilet rim rings later...I realized I was in over my head. The more that piled up, the less motivated I was to do it. Again, I convinced myself...GOC will be over and then I will have plenty of time to catch up.

I started off okay...the dirty piles of laundry became clean folded piles of laundry (well some of them), dishes were washed as we needed them, and I would pick up dog hair tumbleweeds as I passed. Notice I haven't mentioned the toilets yet...yea...not good...but people weren't coming to my house for 2 more weeks...plenty of time to clean the toilets. I still had to decorate my tree and get our Christmas card picture taken!

Day after day passed. Each day a new thing to take my attention away from the tasks at hand. It was Dec 21st we managed to get our pictures taken, Dec 23rd I decorated the tree, Dec 24th (and some of the morning on Dec 25th) I finally got the house cleaned (toilets too) and my Christmas cards mailed. I still have baskets of clean laundry to put away and new piles of dirty laundry to wash. I was honestly so overwhelmed and disappointed by it all.

But, when it all came down to it...we had a wonderful Christmas. We have spent much needed time with family and friends, gotten some much needed rest, and had some quiet moments together as a family. I will have memories from each chaotic Christmastime episode that will last a lifetime. :)

No comments: