Monday, November 24, 2008

Story Time

In my quest to understand more about myself and my ways of life, I have responded to the suggestion to take some time for "myself". Every day (at least nearly every day) for the past few weeks as I put Isaac down for his nap, I brew come coffee...grab my warmest blanket...head to our living room, and open up a book.

It has been fun venturing into the living room. We rarely spend any time here...it is our "nice" room, with nice furniture and fixtures...where the kids and dogs are not allowed. There is no TV here, no phone, and generally...no computer (although today I have made an exception to share about this experience with you). There are two big windows that give me a glimpse into the outdoors and whatever beauty is taking place for that day. Some days the warm sun is glowing and lately the refreshing snow flakes have been falling...as hard as it is to appreciate the driving hazards, layers of clothing, and sore muscles from shoveling...it is hard to deny its beauty.


It is the perfect place in our house for a little peace and quiet. I have never been much of a reader, so it is very easy for me to be distracted. Here, I find that I don't have as much difficulty keeping focused. It is comfortable and inviting. The book I am reading is the Bible. I have been doing a bible study on the life of Jesus, and it sparked my interest in the gospels. I will admit that at first, this felt like more of a task...another thing on my "to do" list that I could check off and feel accomplished about. But as I read and learned, a desire started to spark and this time began to feel more like a rest or refuge. When my assigned reading was finished, I wanted more...I didn't want to just check that off for the day and go on my way...

So into the gospels I went. As Jesus entered the teaching phase of his life, he told so many stories. I have just recently started reading "The Message" translation, which uses language that adds even more to the element of "story time". I feel like a kid again, wrapped up in a blanket, listening to stories about great people and marvelous adventures. I have easily spent several hours here, brought back to reality by my son awaking from his nap. In the past I would've felt irritated that I had done "nothing" during Isaac's nap...my one chance to get things done around the house without having to worry about keeping an eye on him...but lately, I don't mind at all. I value this time so much, and when it is over I feel refreshed and happy.

Best of all, I am learning. I have been a Christian for most of my life, but I feel like I have so much to learn about God. I love this study I'm doing, and following the gospels...getting glimpses into WHO God really is and what that means for my life. He has so much compassion for us, but above that He has a plan. An eternal plan for a kingdom, that is His number one priority. There is much about His plan that is difficult to understand, but as I learn more about who He is...I know that He can be trusted. I know that He has a purpose for every decision He makes...one that for whatever reason, works for His eternal plan. I am convinced that Christ CAN do anything, but I know that He chooses what He will and will not do. My place is to seek His purposes in everything. Wanting more for His work and His will being done through my life than I want for my hardships and handicaps to be healed. As deeply as I desire your health and healing - and believe in your ability to provide it - I desire even more an abundance of your peace and truth (Jer 33:6). (paraphrased from Beth Moore).

No comments: