Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Truth

I just don't even know where to begin. Ed Horn, a friend of ours from church, passed away yesterday afternoon. The Horn family has been sharing their experience with us since October 2005 when Ed was first diagnosed with cancer at the age of 29.

29. Who would've ever dreamed they would have to endure so much by the age of 30. Life, so short and so fragile. Times like these certainly remind us not to take life for granted. Through the Horns journey, thousands and thousands of people have shared thoughts through posts on the website. So many of them sharing similar experiences, yet full of wisdom and hope. Sharing scriptures and songs filled with the truths and promises of God. I often struggled for the right words to share with the family, wishing that I had hidden his word in my heart a little better. Wanting desperately to pull from one of the many scriptures or songs committed to my memory, but nothing could come to mind. Too many thoughts, too many questions.

Sharing this experience with Kelley takes my back to my own experience with loss. My father. He passed away 2 years ago this August. As Scott mentioned in his blog...there are so many people that are far more deserving of life. When we lose them, it makes us question. Why would God take them from us, from the people who love them, those who need them the most. I am so glad for the people God puts in our lives to support us during those times. People that help you cling to the truth during your times of doubt. Thankfully God is flooding Kelley and her family with that kind of support.

The following is lengthy, but well worth it if you have the time. I read through the postings over the last few days and jotted down some of the scriptures and songs that people are sharing. We could all use a little TRUTH, during these and other difficult times.

For the sake of time, I will only share one of the songs that my close friend Carrie Bettinger remembered sharing with Ed.
His strength is perfect when our strength is gone. He'll carry us when we can't carry on. Raised in His power, the weak become strong. His strength is perfect, His strength is perfect. We can only know the power that He holds, when we truly see how deep our weakness goes. His strength in us begins, Where ours comes to an end. He hears our humble cry and proves again. His strength is perfect when our strength is gone. He'll carry us when we can't carry on. Raised in His power, the weak become strong. His strength is perfect, His strength is perfect.

Ps 29:11
The LORD will give strength to His people; The LORD will bless His people with peace.

Is 26:3-4
You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in you.
Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD, the LORD, is the Rock eternal.

Jn 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

2 Cor 5:1-2
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling.

1 Jn 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

Mt 11:28-29
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

2 Cor 1:3-4
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.

Num 6:24-26
The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.

Ps 16:11
You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.

Prov 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

1 Pet 1:13
Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.

Lam 3:18-25
So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the LORD. I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him. The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him.

Ps 116:15
Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

Phil 3:20 - 4:1
But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.
Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!

2 Cor 4:7-8
But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair.

2 Cor 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

1 Thes 4:13-14, 16-18
Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words.

Heb 4:14-16
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we areƂ—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Ps 118:6
The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?

Ps 22:8
He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.

Ps 136:1
Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever.

Is 41:13
For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Rom 5:1-5
Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Ps 143:1,8,10.
O LORD, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground.

Ps 28:7
The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Rev 4:15-17
...they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.

Ps 34:18
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Nancy, I read this and it was very encouraging.

Scott Donnelly said...

Nancy, thanks for putting all those verses down. It's so easy to forget all the promises that God makes when we are in the valley. The enemy uses times like these to spread lies and deceive us. Our Father will never leave us or forsake us.

Anonymous said...

I read your blogs and am touched by the demonstration of your love, friendship and most importantly: FAITH! However, saddened that you are all sooooooo exclusive! The whole "Praise Team" @ NRC is a family indeed, but just to each other and no one else is ever allowed in (unless of course, they are deemed "cool or hip enough" by y'all &/or Paul B.)!
Please don't be offended, hurt or feel you have to put up defenses, by no means the purpose of this it to attack. It's just a commentary deep from the heart, based on how many feel and have shared, but never feel free enough to let you know without being judged.
You all have amazing talents and gifts that have and will continue to be used by God to bless others, but there's a lot of growth that still needs to take place in order to make others (the ones you bless) feel accepted and at times "included!" Yes, the voices are beautiful and the "worship" performance is perfect, but what is really in the heart? The legitimacy of doing it all as a "service" unto the Lord is demonstrated by the "none-stage" performance and the "Jesus" testimony which should still be the farthest thing away from Broadway. Nothing wrong with excellence in art and style, but it looses it's merit if it's under the name of the "All Inclusive Savior", yet it only includes a few. Many have come and gone away, after reaching out to you and have also given up trying to use their gifts as part of the creative arts team, after finding out that the mouth speaks one thing (the often mentioned statement that we are all a big family, sounds great in words but even better when it's truly practiced) but the clicks do exist very strongly indeed and the often mentioned "Heart in Art" in it's truest form, cannot be fully present in the midst of so many limitations!
Love to all & just peaceful contemplation in the spirit (not defensive emotions) on all of the above, humbly shared from the heart!

NancyJane said...

Anonymous,
Wow. I am really sorry that you feel that way. I will have to admit that I have many close friends from the praise team, we spend a lot of time together and support eachother a lot with our prayers. The praise team becomes a small group for many of us, much like the church encourages people to become involved in. By no means do I feel that this makes us exclusive. I have many other close friends...some from choir, some from my Sunday School class, and some from outside the church. I can assure you that being on the Praise Team is not a pre-requisite for having a relationship with me and I truly don't believe any other praise team member either. I know most of the people on Praise Team pretty well and I know that it would not be thier intention to make anyone feel that way. If it were possible to know and have a close relationship with everyone at NorthRidge, wouldn't we all? Everyone has people that they are drawn to, that they become close to. Life lends itself to that. People you spend more time with and have the opportunity to share more with become closer to you and share more with you. It is a good reminder for us to be very careful of how we act and not to be exclusive. I can assure you that those I know on the Praise Team have the "heart" that you speak of. A true heart for God, for people, and for worship. Please don't misunderstand our need for community and close relationships. It is the same need that everyone else has. Don't put us on a pedestal because we happen to be on stage. We are just people, like everyone else. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me, and I don't judge you. Like you said we should all be free to share with eachother in this way. If I have personally made you feel this way, I would really like to know who you are and talk with you about it. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Nancy,
Thank you for taking the time to write the truth from God's word. It has truly encouraged my heart and reminded me of the intense love the Father has for us. Jesus gave His very life for us to have the peace that He speaks of. You have been used to remind us of that. I love you, Friend, and thank God for you and your precious heart. Thank you for investing in me and my family. Hugs to you! xoxo
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey Nance! Where've you been? I miss you!

But, as everyone knows, I have something to say about everything!! LOL!

Here's my opinion on the anonymous blogger: I can't stand to see several people from a team that I love so dearly feel insecure, offended, or ashamed for anything that they have done because of an anonymous accusation of exclusivity. I, of course, had to read this blog, once I heard about it. My initial response was to defend myself and my teammates, but after prayerful deliberation, have decided that it is not necessary. After the posting of this message, I watched as teammates (who have, indeed, become some of my closest friends in this world) became cautious, defensive, and even ashamed that they have been accused of being or doing something that is so far from the truth. The accusation that they are (or I am) unapproachable or exclusive is so ridiculous that I can't even believe that any one of us "bought the lie" and were willing to entertain it.

I, as well as every member of this team, serve in other ministries at NRC. I spend time with these people - countless hours. And, in fact, have become friends with many of them. Life-long friends. Accountability partners. And believe me ... you don't want to hear most of them sing!! LOL!! The praise team is just another ministry that I have the profound privilege to be part of - as is the case in any ministry I serve in (global outreach, LifeShare, Single Impact, SoulCare, etc.). They are my brothers and sisters.

Anonymous, I don't want to sound judgmental, but I have to say that your accusation is nothing but a cutting remark intended not as edification, but as cruel. Posting anonymous blogs is not a Biblical means to reproach someone for their ill behavior. I'm reading everyone's comments, and although I do agree with everything that my peers have said, I have to add my own reproach. This blog has weakened the spirit of a team whose one intent is to worship an Almighty God. It has made a team of worshippers question their sincerity and tempted them to bite into the lie that their devotion to worship has been minimized by their "off-stage performance."

I have sympathy for any hurt that this team has caused you, if that is the case, and would be glad to meet with you personally, but I cannot condone this type of behavior. It is unnecessary, and if only for a minute, has saddened heaven that worshippers of this level of dedication have silenced their songs to contemplate your allegations.

Anonymous, please do not buy into the lie that "freedom of speech" allows the right to say anything you decide to anyone you decide to say it to. To the contrary, that is the symptom of a poorly-bridled tongue. Wise men choose their words cautiously, as not to destroy others. And as is written in Ephesians 4:29, only allow words of edification to come from your lips.

To my teammates, I beg one thing: WORSHIP! Worship a God Who is more passionate about you than you can humanly conceive! Sing to the One Who is worthy! Let your gifts shine, not hiding them from anyone! Raise your voices with a shout of triumph, for His Name's sake! Rock the very foundations of that church with your worship - not bringing glory to yourselves, but leading a charge that not only storms the gates of Hell with its resonance, but one that moves the very heart of Heaven!! Seek His face! Seek His passion! Seek His approval! And in so doing, lead others to His throne.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nancy! Thanks for forwarding this blog site onto me. Your words were both uplifting and thought-provoking. God truly is great even in the bad times. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Also in response to the anonymous blog, I wanted to thank you for being my friend. I truly value our friendship that you can pray for me and I can pray for you. I thank God that I have a few close friends that I can share anything with and that I can count you among them. I am not apart of praise team. I have never been apart of the praise team or choir, and I have never felt snubbed by any of them either. And I am not by any means "hip or cool". :) Thank you for your beautiful voice and for sharing it with us.

As for anonymous, it saddens me that you chose to say those things about Nancy and the praise team. I know Nancy, and if you knew her too, you would not be accusing her of being exclusive. She has one of the kindest and most genuine hearts of anyone I know. I know some of the other praise team members as well. I would not call them close friends, but they have never showed anything but kindness toward me. I have no reason to believe that they aren't worshipping God from their hearts. I believe that they not only worship him on the stage, but also through their actions and their friendships.