Tuesday, July 18, 2006

This is for the dogs...

It is harder than I thought to keep up with this blog stuff! Part of the problem is my husband is a computer hog. He's always on when I actually have the chance to sit down and write something worth reading. We're still learning how to share...kidding!

What I happen to be thinking about today are my dogs. How can something you love SO much also drive you so absolutely insane! We have 2 dogs, Bailey a 4 year old male Malamute/Lab mix and Bruin a 2 year old male Chow/Shepherd mix. Bruin is just the sweetest dog I have ever had. Bailey...is not.

I should've known when we went to pick up Bailey from a friend of mine at work when he was 8 weeks old. Out of a litter of 4 he was independent, bossy, and anti-social (he hasn't changed much). Things you overlook when you are staring the wide eyes of an 8 week old puppy. He was just so CUTE! We got him home, he never wanted to be held and if you came to rest anywhere near him, he got up and moved away. He was my "project", I was determined to mold him into the model "man's best friend". I had visions of strolling down the street with Bailey by my side, stopping at starbucks to read the paper with a coffee in hand...Bailey lying at my feet.

4 years later...he does not stroll, and he would never lie by my feet at starbucks! He's big, loud, & obnoxious. He's eaten a bar of soap, destroyed a couch, and stolen our dinner on more than one occasion. I could write a book about Bailey and his shenanigans. There is a book, I can't remember what it is called, but it is supposed to be about life with the worlds worst dog. Well, they obviously haven't met Bailey. His latest antics involve completely destroying a vinyl fence and roaming free through out the neighborhood. The first time he actually opened our front door and made himself comfortable in the house! The second time he ransacked the neighbors garbage and the third time he scared a 7 year old speechless. (he didn't hurt him at all, just scared him).

It's not for lack of trying. Bailey and I went to every obedience class he could go to. He is SO smart. He learned every command and every trick. He can do them all quite well...when he wants to. People ask me why we still have Bailey, and sometimes I have to admit...I'm really not sure. But getting rid of him is just not an option. I love Bailey despite all of his faults. I have invested as much of myself as I possibly could into him, for his own good. He has his brief moments of sweetness, and they are truly worth it. At the same time he breaks my heart. I feel like I've failed him each time he uses his powers for evil instead of good. I wonder how on earth he could treat me this way after everything I have done for him?

We don't have children yet, but I'm sure parents experience similar things. I know our Heavenly Father does. Time and time again, I have treated God the same way Bailey treats me. I am so thankful that God forgives, time and time again! What a great example. If He can do that for me, surely I can survive life with Bailey. Although, I do think I will need a lot of help!

(I wanted to post pictures in here, but I can't figure it out. If you can help, let me know!)%

2 comments:

Scott Donnelly said...

First off, our dog is named Bailey too! He is not quite as big a handful as your Bailey, but I feel your pain...

Have you ever heard of Caesar Milan (http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/)? He is called the Dog Whisperer... I know, cheesy, but his techniques really work well. He has a show on the National Geographic Channel called, "the Dog Whisperer" (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/dogwhisperer/). He has a book too, check it out if you have a chance.

Pictures are easy... just go to where you post and in the top right area there is a picture of a landscape. Click on that. Then a new window will pop up (Mike may have a pop up blocker, so you may have to ask him to turn it off). Once you see that window, you choose where you want the picture to show up and how big you want it. Then you click on the browse button on the top right and find the picture you want (either drag the pic to the desktop or it will be in the folder that you keep your pics in).

Now you can write your Blog and post it with a picture!

Cheryl said...

I think the book is "Marley and Me" - I am borrowing my mother-in-law's copy. She loved it.