Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Next Phase

I've been wondering a lot lately what my life is going to look like 6 months from now, a year from now, even 10 years from now. I can say that I am mostly excited about looking ahead, but naturally I have some reservations too.

There have been many times in my life I have found myself looking ahead, wondering what the "next phase" would be like. Sometimes it came just as I expected, other times it hit me like a semi truck. Often the journey that led me to the place I would end was not at all what I expected. I can say that each time I have faced the next phase of life, whether I faced it with excitement or total fear, God completely and totally took care of me.

My devotion today was about "teachability".
Beloved, let's work on having a more teachable spirit. God often wants to do "a new thing" in our lives, but we resist Him (see Isa. 43:18-19).

18 "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland".


When we are proud, rebellious, and insist on our own way, the chances are good He'll use a donkey in our lives to get through to us! Unlikely teachers have a two-fold purpose: to bring humility and instruction. Often we will learn no other way. (Second Peter 2:15-16). Sometimes we don't mind something new, we just don't like the vehicle God's using to drive us to that new place. A precious part of teachability is being willing and anxious to learn, regardless of who He chooses as our unlikely teacher.

How many times have I found myself in the middle of a "new thing" completely freaked out and ready to run the other way. God has certainly used plenty of "donkeys" in my life to get my attention and get me back on track. I want to face this next phase of life with courage, excitement, and a desire to learn instead of fear, bewilderment, and a desire to run the other way. I want to look expectedly to Him instead of getting hit by the semi (or the donkey).
Thankfully, HE will help me.

1 comment:

Kristi Kurtz said...

Thanks for the blog! Love ya...