Thursday, April 05, 2007

Borderline

Borderline. That's the term they use when you fail your glucose tolerence test by 1 point. It means that I don't really have gestational diabetes, but my numbers were not normal either. So what do I have? Glucose Intolerence.

C'mon...I mean...ONE point. Unfortunately, it is what it is...I "failed" the test and they treat glucose intolerence the same way as gestational diabetes (so why bother to distinquish them...I'm not sure). But anyhoo...I have to go and see a diabetic nutrition consultant and check my blood sugar every day with a glucometer. (Yep...the fingerstick...fabulous.)

I was given the option of taking the 3 hour glucose test again, but I opted out of that seeing as I almost passed out several times during the first hour of the test and felt like a truck had run over me for pretty much the remainder of the day. Yea, I'd rather prick my finger everyday for the next 80 days or so. No problem. And, I will possibly have to make some adjustments to what I eat...but to be honest...I have always watched what I eat...so I'll be interested to see what I will be able to change! (I'm sure there is always room for change).

So, this is a minor inconvenience at the least. I'm obviously ready and willing to do what I need to, to keep this little boy healthy and strong. I hope he appreciates all this!

No comments: